Farm + Food Lab | Irvine Great Park

Although we lived in Irvine for a brief stint I am sad to say that until a few weekends ago I had never ventured out to the Great Park. For those not from Orange Country, the Great Park is the old El Toro Marine Base that the city has turned into a multi-use park, outdoor amphitheater, and more! A place for the community with a variety of functions.

We were going to the Sunday Farmer's Market, but while there we poked our heads into the Farm + Food Lab. 

My school has a garden, plus I am scheming to add more green spaces and life in areas of our school that are concrete and utilitarian, such as the outdoor cafeteria.

While at the Farm + Food Lab I saw a "pizza herb garden!" What a wonderful way to help kids connect farming to their food. In the next few weeks I hope to get started on my own pizza herb garden.

Basically Italian seasoning, these are the herbs I plan to have in my garden -- basil, marjoram, oregano, rosemary, thyme, and garlic.

Seeing this garden was a sort of field trip and training for me, giving me a renewed passion for sustainable gardening and for helping children understand the farming economy.

Enjoy some photos from this beautiful garden!







Unrelated -- but we did eat pizza later that day and Robbie was looking mighty handsome! 


Comments

Popular Posts