November 2018



A quick rambling journal like entry reflecting on Colossians 3:12-17, November 15th, 2018

Even though it's 80 degrees with strong dry Santa Ana winds here in California I am attempting to put myself in a seasonal spirit by conjuring up warm hearty dishes such as chicken and leek pie and some beef stew in my slow-cooker. Dishes like these plus the short days remind me of my time living in England.


I am about half-way through knitting the Autumn League Pullover from Two of  Wands and, knitting too, reminds me of England.

Tomorrow Robbie and I are going to go to Julian, California in San Diego county. I have never been and I'm told it is the epitome of Autumn.

I am craving autumn, cool days & sweaters, apple pie & hot apple cider, a feeling in the air that reminds you Thanksgiving, and then it's cousin Christmas, will be here shortly.


I find myself checking the weather in cities in Texas. You might not believe it but Texas truly has seasons. Especially when contrasted with California's non-existent seasons.

I will be in Texas in a month and I am all but literally counting down the days, it's been two years since I have been in Texas for Christmas and I am like a bull at the gate waiting in anticipation.

Robbie doesn't really enjoy Christmas but I am hoping a Christmas with my family will add a new beautiful and beloved view in his kaleidoscope of Christmas memories.

Is it too early to put the tree up? Should I put more emphasis on Advent and the waiting of Christ to bring joy in a dark world?

I love the cheesy Americanized Christmas. The capitalism, the crowded malls.

The songs! Oh the Christmas songs!

"Dolls that can talk and go for a walk, is the hope of Janice and Jen"

And the lights! The trees, the invitation to be merry!

I love the gluttony and excess of it all!

It is uncalled for and silly.

It is more than we need.

It's more than is to be expected from a world full of sin and darkness.

Darkness needs excess joy to stomp it out!

We need grace and love and joy that is out of place in this season of darkness.

Let the lights and overflow of this season remind you of the overflowing love God has for you through Christ Jesus.


12 As God’s chosen ones, holy and beloved, clothe yourselves with compassion, kindness, humility, meekness, and patience. 13 Bear with one another and, if anyone has a complaint against another, forgive each other; just as the Lord has forgiven you, so you also must forgive. 14 Above all, clothe yourselves with love, which binds everything together in perfect harmony. 15 And let the peace of Christ rule in your hearts, to which indeed you were called in the one body. And be thankful. 16 Let the word of Christ dwell in you richly; teach and admonish one another in all wisdom; and with gratitude in your hearts sing psalms, hymns, and spiritual songs to God. 17 And whatever you do, in word or deed, do everything in the name of the Lord Jesus, giving thanks to God the Father through him.






Comments

Popular Posts