September 12th


Cooler weather has been flirting with us here in Orange County, but Robbie and I are still making good on living near the Pacific and have been been swimming there regularly the past few weeks. I hope to continue our visits into the fall as long as the water isn't too frigid or I get a suit that will keep me warm. I hope to buy fins soon after being envious of Robbie's for a good many months.

Other than beach trips and some hangs with friends (THANK GOD we are playing D&D again-- I was missing it more that I wanted to admit!) we are settling back into the school year nicely with only minor hiccups along the way.

I have begun assisting in the confirmation classes at our church and I have really enjoyed getting to take part, in some ways I too feel like a confirmant. We haven't begun to learn much Lutheran-centric theology but instead general Christian beliefs, but still I enjoy being both a student and a leader. It has also been very helpful in feeling more ingrained in the larger body of our church. Since CLC has two services it is easy to only become familiar with half of the families and members there, this class has required more mingling for me.

This past Sunday we had another opportunity ripe for mingling and socializing at church, ELCA's Day of Service. In our congregation we helped pack blessing bags for our local food pantry, created beautiful handmade cards for our local preschool families, had a quilting bee with many beautiful quilts that will be donated to Lutheran World Relief, and did some landscaping around the church.

The theme this year was "God's Work, Our Hands" and after working in the garden beds encompassing our church, Robbie had a large blister on his hands from shoveling.

Thinking of his blister reminded me of a favorite quote from the musical Hamilton;

When you got skin in the game, you stay in the game
But you don't get a win unless you play in the game


True, Robbie put some of his skin in the game, but today I am mulling over the second stanza. As Christians should celebrate at the error of this phrase. The only way we get to win is through the skin that Christ put in the game.

We do not have skin in the game of our salvation, Romans 10 says "there is none righteous, no, not one." Our works and upright acts do nothing to attain salvation.

Only by calling upon the name of the Lord, confessing our weakness, admitting our pitiful attempt to save ourselves, and turing our hearts to Him can we be saved.

Praise God, Romans 10 also says this: "For whoever shall call upon the name of the Lord shall be saved."

The "game" of salvation is finished, rejoice!

Jen







Comments

Popular Posts