New year, new journey, new blog


An except from Goff's book, and a touching message to me. 
I also recently read the book Love Does by Bob Goff and it has continually touched my soul, made me cry, made me laugh, and made me want to change the world, starting with myself. It's outlook on love has made me rethink some things and by including "Love" in title of my blog I hope to continue to draw inspiration from Bob Goff's marvelous book. 


So I am starting 2013 as a recent grad of UTSA now living in Glen Rose, America where I am working at Glen Lake Camp! (and they said I'd never get a job with a history degree) I am the guest services assistant for the office and I am in the kitchen on some weekends as well. In in future I will possibly even be life-guarding. I was under the impression that you had to look more like Pamela Anderson or Yazmine Bleeth to be a lifeguard, but apparently I was wrong. 

My job at GLC runs through July at which time I will be in full swing preparation mode for my upcoming move to England! I know I've written about it before, but just in case you need a refresher, here are the deets:

"Missionaries making missionaries"

I will be working with the Pais Project in North England, I'll be centered around the town of Burnley. Pais offers 1 year apprenticeships in youth and school ministries, the Pais project is all about getting students involved in the local church by seeking them out in their local schools. By doing lunch clubs, assemblies, mentoring programs and Bible studies Pais helps students find connection and purpose in their lives.  Pais hopes to use their apprentices as local missionaries to create a new generation of followers. 

You can watch this video from the founder to learn more about Pais apprenticeships. 

According to a study published in 2007 by BBC only 10% of the population age 16-24 regularly go to church, and an article by the Washington Post published in March of this year predicted that within 20 years atheists will outnumber Christians in England

Now, let me just say this, my goal in going to England is not to get kids to come to church. 


"What's that you say Jenoa? Don't you want them to go to church? Don't you even understand the statistics you just posted?"

Yes, I understand them perfectly. When I read those statistics I don't seen a culture who is in desperate need of a church. I don't see a society who is not familiar with traditional rites and traditions, I see a population that needs to understand love, God's love. 

I don't want to go to England to help their church grow, or to improve their stats-- yes, I hope that I inadvertently do both of those, but I hope first and foremost I am showing Christ's love to broken, hurting, confused, lost sinners, like me

Thanks for reading! 

Please join me in praying for my few months at Glen Lake as well as my upcoming adventure with Pais. 

"Show yourself in all respects to be a model of good works, and in your teaching show integrity, dignity, and sound speech that cannot be condemned." Titus 2:7

Comments

Popular Posts